From Monday 25th November 2019 we are stopping pharmacies from ordering medication for patients. From this date they will need to order it from the GP surgery directly.
Why is this happening?
Under the old system some patients built up stocks of unused medicines that expires before they get chance to use it. The NHS can reduce the cost of waste medicines through improving repeat prescribing systems.
The new system is also safer as your GP can monitor your prescription more easily and discuss the prescription items that you continue to need at your regular review.
To encourage patients to be more involved in their own health — we often find patients do not know the medications they are taking, why they are taking them and are unaware they need medication reviews until their medication is stopped. By encouraging patients to proactively manage their medication we are hoping the surgery can prescribe more safely and efficiently.
How can I order my medicaton from 25th November?
- Online (using SystmOnline) via a PC, tablet or mobile phone (a friend or relative can sign up for this on your behalf by you completing a Proxy access form – enquire at reception)
- Email a request to BHMP@NHS.NET
- Drop a written request in the box at the surgery reception.
- Post a written request to the surgery.
WE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTING REQUESTS OVER THE PHONE.
You can request your medication up to 7 days before it is due, however please allow 48 working hours for the surgery to send your prescription electronically to the pharmacy and 24 hours for the pharmacy to prepare your medication for collection.
Please see HERE for a guide how to order medication via SystmOnline.
What if I am unable to order my medication myself?
For patients who are unable to order their medication via the stated methods, the surgery has arranged with the pharmacy that they can still request their medication.
If you have a genuine medical reason for not being able to request your own medication via the methods provided please speak to:
- Your pharmacy (who can contact the surgery on your behalf).
- The surgery reception team on 0113 467 7500 (who can refer the request to the GP).